Monday, April 13, 2015

Homemade Croutons

How to Make Homemade Croutons


As dinner prep was wrapping up last night I decided to throw together a small salad; and then I sadly realized we had no croutons.  Croutons aren't a must have around here but we sure do like what they add to our salads! I didn't take the time to make croutons right then and there, but it did give me a simple post for today.

I have made croutons before, so with a quick skim through some Internet searches to refresh my memory, I quickly whipped up a batch.



Parmesan Garlic Croutons

10 slices of bread (I used some leftover bread I made using the bread machine, double points for this!)
4 tablespoons of butter (oil would work also)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of parsley
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Cut bread into cubes.  Melt butter and stir in garlic.  Drizzle melted garlic butter over the cubed bread and toss until coated. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over coated bread. Spread out in a single layer on a jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet). Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your desired crunch factor. Makes about 5-6 cups.

This is another one of those items you can make your own very easily!  Sea Salt & Crushed Black Pepper. Garlic & Onion.  Almost any flavor combo you can think of would work and you can add as much or as little of the herbs and spices.  As for storing, I decided that I would store these in an air-tight container in the freezer to make them last longer. 

Today's Question: Do you use the heel of your bread loaves or throw them away?


3 comments:

  1. Without Croutons i feel salad is incomplete. i usually buy them from outside but thanks for posting the recipe. i will surely try them out the next time i will make the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your post. Thanks for sharing such an useful information.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Without Croutons I feel plate of mixed greens is fragmented. I as a rule get them from outside however a debt of gratitude is in order for posting the formula. I will definitely give them a shot whenever I will make the serving of mixed greens.

    ReplyDelete