Sunday, April 12, 2015

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix


"A little bit of this and a little bit of that" has been my approach with homemade taco seasoning.  I feel taco seasoning is one of the kitchen staple items that one recipe is not going to cut it for everyone.  We all have our flavor preferences so keep this in mind as you look at these options.  The last batch I made came from Bill Echols on Allrecipes which was good but did have more of a kick than my kids preferred, so we continue to have a work in progress.

I loved what some of you shared after yesterday's post.  The Shopper's Apprentice has a recipe that was shared by a friend, she hasn't tested it out yet, but it did compare well with another recipe I have also come across.  I also like the idea of just adding different things when you start running low ... this would be right up my alley, I will make due with what I have before making a trip to the store!

Here's is what I have come up with so far.


Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of flour (optional)
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
pinch of cayenne (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a reusable container.  My pantry and fridge is going to look just darling after everything is replaced with homemade products in mason jars.  And no I didn't go out an purchase mason jars just for this, all those mason jars your moms and grandmas used to put to good use every summer may just be sitting around begging to be filled with deliciousness! 

When you are ready to use, brown and drain 1 pound of meat.  Add 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of mix to cooked meat.  Add 1/4 cup of water.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  This recipe makes about two batches.

Here are a few thoughts to consider when creating your own blend of taco seasoning:
I really like adding about 1 tablespoon of flour or 1/2 of a tablespoon of cornstarch to the mix, I have found this adds a thickening agent which speeds up the simmering process and brings it all together. Heat is another factor, I usually cut back on the chili powder just a bit, allow for about half of the paprika the recipe calls for, and depending on my mood may eliminate the cayenne or give it just a pinch or a smidge,  If you like more heat, crushed red pepper flakes would be a great option.  One last thought is the cumin, this is a powerful flavor, a little goes a long way, so if you love cumin go for it but if not you might want to cut back. 

Let your taste buds dictate your preference, you truly cannot go wrong with this!

Today's Question: Do you add anything different ingredients in your taco seasoning?

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I can't wait to try this recipe of your. This looks like a spice blast and I am a crazy fan of spices. Thank youu, I can't thank you enough for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... This is so nice of you. I love snacks and with this recipe now i can have the taste of restaurant at my home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing amazing information !!!!!!
    Please keep up sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much thanks for this brilliant site. elegantly composed and useful substance you have.

    ReplyDelete