Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Homemade Buttermilk

How to Make Homemade Buttermilk


Today will be short in preparation for tomorrow's post ... ranch dressing.  I use homemade buttermilk in my ranch dressing so I decided I might as well share this step first.  I do not recall if I have ever purchased buttermilk but I have ended up using my homemade buttermilk quite often for a Saturday morning favorite around here, biscuits and gravy, and homemade ranch dressing.

If you would do a simple Internet search for homemade buttermilk, you would find some variation of this buttermilk recipe over and over again.


Homemade Buttermilk

1 tablespoon of lemon juice (my preference) or vinegar 
1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of milk

Start with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (or vinegar, we just need the acidity) in a measuring cup.  I find it easiest to use my 2 cup (pint) measuring cup.  Then add your milk to make a total of 1 cup. Let sit for about 5 minutes and you will notice the milk has started to curdle. Give it a quick stir and your done.

Please make note - if you are going to use this in a recipe, start by making your homemade buttermilk first and don't wait until you get to the step in the recipe where you need to add the buttermilk ... those 5 minutes waiting for your milk to curdle can be an extreme nuisance when you have 5 hungry-hungry-hippos waiting for breakfast!

As for the lemon juice, I keep a bottle of lemon juice on hand at all times ... it's cheaper and more convenient for me.  If you'd want to take this a step further, use fresh lemons OR grow your own lemon tree even!  The most common conversion is 1 lemon equals 3 tablespoons of juice.

Additional Cost: minimal to none ... remember it's all about using what you have on hand
Savings: approximately $2-$4 depending on quantity and brand
Environmentally Friendly: always saves on packaging waste when you eliminate a grocery list item

Today's question: How often do you use ranch dressing?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kara!! Joe loves ranch dressing and we use it often! Can't wait for the recipe!!
    Amber Stuckel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Amber! I'm anxious to get your feedback on it! We love it and it's really easy :)

    ReplyDelete