Friday, April 10, 2015

Homemade Peanut Butter

How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter



I have to be quick today, it's game day! Today's item does involve the need for extra equipment so this may or may not be doable for you. I have a very gracious sister who let me take care of her food processor while she was away. She is also my inspiration for today and has been making this for years. All I have to say is "Why have I NOT been doing this?!?!"  No joke, start to finish 10 minutes max!  As for the final product, the texture will be more like the all natural peanut butter rather than the creamy traditional peanut butter, but the taste is pretty amazing!


Homemade Peanut Butter

16 oz jar of dry roasted unsalted peanuts
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon of salt


Place peanuts in food processor. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until it has almost formed a ball. Slowly drizzle your oil (peanut, olive, or canola) as you continue to blend. Blend for about 1 minute.  Add honey. Blend again.  Add salt. Blend again. Transfer to jar and refrigerate. 


If you don't have a food processor, I would give it a whirl, literally ;), in your blender or even a Vitamix maybe?  I have never done peanut butter in the blender so I would  be careful not to overheat it, maybe just start by pulsing and don't let it run consistently for the minute or two.  If you are local and don't have the proper equipment, get in touch with me and we can make arrangements to get you some homemade peanut butter!

Additional cost: $2.19 for peanuts ... do look at the ingredients some have more than just peanuts 
Cost Comparison: $1.69 for 18oz store bought not natural vs. about $2.50 for 16oz homemade

I don't buy the all natural peanut butter so I don't have any prices to compare personally, but thinking the extra $0.80 is worth going all natural.  Also have a feeling $2.50 is much cheaper than most all natural store bought peanut butter.  

Update: 4/19/15 - Our homemade peanut butter has been gone for a few days already, the kids loved it! The consistency was amazing even coming straight out of the fridge, no waiting to reach room temperature and no smashed bread. These are my memories of trying store bought all-natural peanut butter which is why I went back to the creamy stuff. Now I am on a hunt to find a great deal on bulk dry roasted peanuts so I can store them in the freezer and pull them out to make fresh peanut in less than a few minutes whenever we run out. As I shared on my "Maple Syrup" post from today, making homemade that costs more than store bought is really challenging my thinking and priorities!

Today's Question: Do you buy traditional peanut butter, all-natural peanut butter, or already make your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment