Monday, April 27, 2015

Homemade Raspberry Jam

How to Make Homemade Raspberry Jam without Fruit Pectin

Those $1 raspberries were irresistible yesterday, so I am at it again ... Round 2 on jam without fruit pectin. 

I really just tweaked my blackberry jam and am winging it! 100% trial and error. I wasn't pleased with the consistency of the blackberry jam and decided I should cook it for less time. So here's what I tried.

Homemade Raspberry Jam 

6 oz. fresh raspberry, washed and crushed
1/8 cup of water (optional, used to rise seeds when straining)
1/2 cup of sugar

removing the seeds, this is what I had left

Crush raspberries using pastry cutter (or fork).  Place at least half (this amount depends on your seed preference)  in a wire mesh colander (small enough to catch the seeds) over your sauce pan and use a spoon to mash through the colander until no more juice is coming through. Use the water to drizzle and mash, drizzle and mash. We are just wanting to remove as much of the fruit flesh as possible. Add sugar to the sauce pan and heat over high heat. Stir continually watching for it boil. Boil for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Pour into clean jar and refrigerate.

the consistency after a few minutes of cooling
This very well could be an addiction! I will be searching the produce aisle for jam suspects! The thing I love most about this besides eliminating the unnecessary ingredients ... these raspberries will last much longer in our house in jam form. I would have to by at least five of these small containers of raspberries to feed my kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment