Thursday, April 16, 2015

Homemade Half & Half

How to Make Homemade Half & Half


I was a tea drinker and then went to the dark side almost three years ago when we were blessed with #4. At this time I was able to stay at home with the kids and be a full-time mom for a year! So basically, I survived as a middle school teacher for almost ten years and had no need for coffee, then I stayed at home with our three youngest kiddos and I needed coffee. Hmmm? Love my kiddos abundantly and have found this quite humorous, but I still haven't quite figured out the logic behind that one yet. Needless to say I have become quite attached to my morning cup of coffee!

I'm pretty simple in my coffee requests, about 3/4 coffee and 1/4 milk.  I love the flavors but I have been too lazy and frugal to buy it.  I will treat myself to some homemade whipped cream on Saturday mornings when I make waffles. As I was doing some research, I was noticing how easy it would be to add a little extra of something to the cup and make every morning a treat!

Most recipes you will find on the Internet include, sweetened condensed milk (which I will be replacing during my baking series) and then some version of milk, half & half, or cream.

I always have milk on hand, most times have heavy whipping cream, but never have half & half. I saw version of 1 part milk to 1 part heavy cream as well as 4 parts milk to1 part heavy cream.


Homemade Half & Half

1 cup milk
1/4 to 1 cup heavy cream 

Start with milk and 1/4 cup of heavy cream and continue to add heavy cream until you reach you desired thickness. Mix ingredients. Store in refrigerator.

Cost Comparison using prices from today:

Meijer 16 oz. Half & Half 16 oz - $1.29

Aldi Milk - $1.69 ($0.11/cup)
Aldi Heavy Whipping Cream 16 oz. - $1.89 ($0.27/ quarter of a cup)

Homemade Half & Half - $0.38 to  $1.05

Today's Questions: Do you use syrup? If so are you picky about your brand? 

No comments:

Post a Comment