Monday, May 11, 2015

Homemade Mayo

How to Make Your Own Mayo

Oh mayo, the day has finally come ... I just wish you tasted better! ;-p I followed The Clothes Make the Girl's Blog and it was very simple! However, Aldi olive oil must not be light tasting enough ... I don't mind olive oil but it's not the only thing I want to taste in my mayo. I would love to try this with avocado oil and a little more salt.


Homemade Mayo

2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 and 1/4 cup of olive oil (will be trying avocado next)

Place egg and lemon juice in processor and allow to reach room temperature (about 1 hour). Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and blend for 30 seconds. Slowly drizzle remaining 1 cup of olive oil into food processor while running, this should take a couple minutes if you are truly drizzling :). Once all the the olive oil is incorporated you will have a thick and creamy mayo.

We don't use mayo by itself too often, so I am very curious how this will taste in our homemade ranch dressing (bummer I should have waiting on making a batch last week ... poor planning on my part!), spicy mayo, homemade coleslaw, and chipped beef spread. 

Today's Question: What is your favorite use for mayo?

Updated 5/17/15 - We used our homemade mayo in a family favorite recipe for chipped beef spread and it turned out great! No olive oil taste whatsoever. I did notice it was not as creamy as it usually is, but I didn't warm my cream cheese up before starting and I did use a little more beef; both could have been the culprit for the less creaminess so I won't blame the homemade mayo yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment