Friday, May 15, 2015

Homemade Ketchup

I feel like I am approaching the end of my kitchen series with only a few things I'd still like to try! I am hoping once school is out for the summer I can get back to the drawing board and come up with a plan for the next series ... thinking a "Body and Beauty" series??? Just to get your wheels a turning for some upcoming posts! :) Now onto the real reason for today's post, ketchup.



How to Make Your Own Ketchup

The Mr. isn't too particular when it comes to specific brands he has too have for his food (which I am thankful of), but he does make requests when it comes to his coffee and ketchup! I really think I can tweak what I have here to get pretty close, but until then I will continue to buy his Heinz and the kids can be the guinea pigs until I have perfected it :). 

My recipe was inspired by Simply Scratch and Hillbilly Housewife. I feel the cinnamon is a little too much and will cut it out next time with a few more changes like using white sugar instead of brown and regular vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.

Homemade Ketchup

6 ounces of tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon of salt
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of cayenne
dash of ground cloves
dash of ground allspice
1/3 cup of water 
4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of white vinegar

Combine all ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Store in airtight container and refrigerate. 


The consistency it slightly different, but the true taste test will come tomorrow when all the flavors have had some time to get to know one another!

Cost Comparison: ~$0.70 for 10 ounces of homemade ketchup vs. $3.50 for 38 ounces of Heinz
                                ~$0.07 per ounce of homemade VS. $0.09 per ounce if Heinz

No comments:

Post a Comment