Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Homemade Toothpaste

How to Make Your Own Toothpaste

Today marks the start of a new routine. School for every one is done, the Mr.'s baseball season is finished (unfortunately after a tough loss last night ... So proud of the SJO Baseball Team), and we are now full-fledged at home during the day with the four kiddos and plus one occasionally! As with most transitions, it takes a few days to find my groove. I am going to need to figure out when the best time is to get my post in.

There are a few things I still would like to try in the kitchen and get posted, but they will get done periodically as I need them. For now I am excited to head over to the bathroom and eliminate ingredients and waste AND save money. Since we spend most of our summer days around the pool or outside, I can afford a few bad hair days if some of the homemade products need tweaking! :)

I was a little overwhelmed at where to start initially but toothpaste sounded like the easiest. This recipe was adapted from Organic Authority.   


Homemade Toothpaste - Kid Friendly


1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
water as needed

Mix baking soda and salt in a small container with lid. Moisten toothbrush. Lightly dip the moisten bristles in the soda and salt mixture. Brush as normal. 

I love the fact I don't have to worry about whether or not the little kids swallow this. We are not always the best at spitting. ;) 


Homemade Toothpaste with Whitening


6 tablespoons baking soda
1 1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of peroxide
2 tablespoons water 

Mix baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add peroxide and water. Store in a small squeeze bottle. 

I used a baggie and cut the tip off in order to get the paste into my squeeze bottle without a huge mess. Then for a fun twist, once I use up all of my essential oils and replace them with Young Living oils that we can digest, I will be adding a few drops of essential oils to these as well. I have already tried this and it tastes just like I remember it when I was a kid. We didn't use this very often and it may have only been when I wanted to try being a pioneer! I am looking forward to seeing if it really whitens, will need to take a before picture before I forget. 

Today's Question: What was/would be the first bathroom item you would replace?

No comments:

Post a Comment