Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Homemade Refried Beans

How to Make Your Own Refried Beans


I was so graciously given this recipe from a friend when I shared about using dry beans and I have to say, SO easy AND very impressed!

Refried beans are one of those items that never look appetizing, but are OH SO GOOD!

Refried Beans - Original Recipe


1 onion, peeled & cut to your liking (diced, halved, whatever)
3 cups dried pinto beans
2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 jalapenos, diced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8-9 cups water (could substitute vegetable or chicken stock)

Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Cook on high for 8 hours, stir occasionally. Strain, reserve liquid. Mash beans with potato masher, add reserved water as need for desired consistency.

This next recipe is what I did based on what I had as well as my crocks are 2.5 quarts which are slightly smaller than your standard crock-pot. I split my recipe into two - 2.5 quart crocks. I'm adding my tweaks so I can remember what I did for next time. :)

Refried Beans - My Tweak

1 onion, chopped finely
4 cups dried pinto beans
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
3 jalapenos, chopped finely (will add fewer next time)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
11 cups of water

Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Cook on high for 8 hours, stir occasionally. Strain, reserve liquid. Mash beans with pastry cutter (I don't have a potato masher), add reserved water as need for desired consistency. Made about 4 cans worth. 

This ended up being a little spicier than I typically make things only for the kids sake. With that being said, they all gobbled up the tostadas I made using these without much complaint; and the Mr. gave a good review as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment