Monday, June 15, 2015

Homemade Moisturizer

How to Make Your Own Moisturizer


This one is going to be a work in progress, but I needed to start somewhere and document what I have tried. I'm a Bath and Body Works user and lover, so this one is going to be a hard one to transition. 

Naturally and Health Living was my inspiration only because it used the ingredients I already have. I have become very fond of aloe vera gel and it's benefits through the reading I have done, so it seemed to be worth a try.

Again, just to add I am no professional throughout all of this, just some one stepping out into the unknown and learning for myself. If you have suggestions, please do not hesitate to inform me! :)


Homemade Moisturizer Try #1


4 tablespoons aloe vera gel
2 tablespoons almond oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons shea butter, melted
20 drops of cypress essential oil
20 drops of grapefruit essential oil
20 drops of palmarosa essential oil
20 drops of chamomile essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the melted coconut oil and shea butter to return to room temperature after being heating just enough for them to melt. Beat until thick and creamy. 

My essential oil choices were to help with varicose and spider veins. I was "blessed" genetically with these ;-p and the four pregnancies really didn't help either. My life and what I do isn't stopped by these veins, but I do feel more comfortable wearing jeans, capris, and longer skirts to hide these oh-so-lovely additions to my legs. I have always wanted to and have never taken the time (because it will be slow going to show results) to use oils to minimize or eliminate the appearance of my varicose and spider veins. 

You really wouldn't have to use any oils or you could use a combination of your liking. I found this chart to be very helpful if you wanted your oils to double duty for you for smell and health benefits.

Updated 6/16/2015 - I have noticed a little irritation after shaving and then using my moisturizer #1 so next I will need to try something like this from Little House Living.

Homemade Moisturizer Try #2


3 parts coconut oil 
1 part witch hazel 

Melt and mix. Use as aftershave lotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment