Sunday, July 12, 2015

Homemade Thousand Island Dressing

How to Make Your Own Thousand Island Dressing

This one's a first! I've been trying to hold out so I could also use the cucumbers from our garden to make the sweet pickle relish needed for thousand island dressing, but it's going to be a while before they are ready! We aren't big thousand island dressing eaters, BUT we love a good (what we call) ranch burger every now and again! Our version of a ranch burger (although there is no ranch used) is a cheeseburger topped with fresh homemade coleslaw and thousand island dressing on a warm toasted bun. SO GOOD!

My starting point for the thousand island dressing came from Kitchen Treaty's version with some tweaks.

homemade thousand island dressing

Homemade Thousand Island Dressing


1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (once my cucumbers are ready, I'll be trying this!)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)

Whisk all ingredients thoroughly. Store in sealed container. Refrigerate. For best results, allow to sit overnight. 

While looking through other thousand island dressing recipes, I noticed an ingredient that showed up more often than not was hard boiled eggs. I was a bit lazy today and didn't want to take the time to make these and I was also a little fishy about the texture with the diced egg whites. With that being said, I do feel like something is missing from the above recipe and will definitely be adding 1 hard boiled egg finely chopped to the mix next time. 

Today's Question: What's your favorite burger fixings?



No comments:

Post a Comment