Monday, July 6, 2015

Fruit Topping

How to Make Your Own Fruit Topping

Again one of my grandma's doings! This just expands your waffle or sundae bar BIG TIME! Any frozen or fresh fruit will do, if it's fresh you will want to add a little extra water. I've done blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, mangoes, raspberries, and a combination of a couple of these.

blackberry fruit topping

Homemade Fruit Topping


1 bag of frozen fruit (or 12 to 16 ounces of fresh fruit + 2 tablespoons water)
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sugar (more or less for taste)
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional, speeds up thickening process)

Place frozen fruit in saucepan over high heat. Add sugar and cornstarch. Stir a every few minutes until desired consistency is reached (approximately 30 minutes). Reduce heat if needed. Serve warm or cool.

When it's waffle morning here at the Haley House, this is the first thing I start and then I preheat my waffle iron and get my bowl and whisk in the freezer for my homemade whipped topping. Next onto mixing the batter (which I use this recipe) and making the waffles. I'll stop to stir the fruit while I'm waiting on the waffles to cook and by the time I have enough waffles for round one, the fruit topping is ready!

These are a hot commodity around here!
Don't think that this topping just stops at waffles or sundaes, we buy the large containers of plain yogurt or make when we get to borrow my sister's Yogotherm. (I really need to invest in one of those more myself!) and will use any leftover fruit topping to flavor our yogurt!

Cost will depend on the fruit you use, but the nice thing is you have a lot more options than the store bought flavors!

Cost Comparison: $2 to $3 for approximately 12 ounces homemade fruit topping vs. $2.59 for Smucker's fruit syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment